Nothing is more annoying and tiring like having to stop your adventure to unpack the bag just to remove a drink. You might end up foregoing it all along. But, why do this when there are innovative and convenient ways of staying hydrated while on the go? With the best hydration bladder, you will never ask for more. Forget about the old models, the new ones that have been improved in terms of ease of use, portability, water flow, and maintenance are there in the market. You just need to buy one and forget about the dehydration caused by laziness.
Water bladder technology has been improving over the years to cater to outdoor enthusiasts such as hikers, cyclists, athletes, and campers among others. In fact, if you have the old one it is time to replace for a new and better experience. For newbies, it will be a treat like no other. You might be tempted to carry it everywhere anytime just because of the convenience it brings. The only important thing to do is to buy the best that the market can offer. This is not a walk in the park as it will demand significant time of research and reviews of a countless number of products.
However, you do not have to worry as we have done much work for you. All you have to do is to READ THIS ARTICLE to understand how to pick one and select from the six top-rated hydration bladders presented. First, let us look at the summary of these products.
Compersion Table of the Top-Rated Best Hydration Bladders
What is a hydration bladder?
Hydration bladders are containers designed with a capped mouth for filling with drinks and a hose where the user can take the liquid hands-free. There is a bite valve at the end of the hose that opens when one bites on it and closes accordingly. Some have covers that keep dust away from the valve for hygiene purposes.
Advantages of hydration bladders
- Easy to drink the water while engaging in outdoor activities
- Continuous sipping for hydration
- Decrease in size as it is emptied saving space in the back bag
- Designed to fit in back bag conveniently
- Easy transportation as the weight of water is kept close to the body
- Well-matched with water filters
Features To Look At When Purchasing Best Hydration Bladder –Buyer’s Guide
Outdoor enthusiasts go for water bladders mainly because of the convenience it brings in terms of sipping water. Therefore, when selecting the product, go for the one with great features that gives value for the money. In order to get the best hydration bladder to consider the following features:
Good water flow makes it easy and convenient to sip enough water while on the go. Though it will not be easy for you to know how good the product is before trying, do this by analyzing the customers’ reviews. They are likely to say something about the flow of water so that you can make an informed decision. The valve should also let the water flow without any difficulty. For the products with good water flow choose from our list have we have done thorough research and checked the products approved by the majority of customers.
There are certain features to look at when it comes to the bite valve. First, you should check whether it has an on/off mechanism. The one which has the mechanism makes it easy to stop water flow when the product is not in use. Different models have diverse methods, but, of importance is to get one that is easy to use while engaging in a particular outdoor activity. If possible, pick one that can be operated single-handedly.
The second thing to look for is the cover. Bite valve covers prevent germs from getting inside the bladder, therefore, ensuring you maintain hygiene. The dirt will also not clog the valve so that the water flow is not affected. However, you can always buy a cover separately for those that do not come with one.
Lastly, you should check whether the bite valve is detachable and how easy it is to remove it. Removing it makes cleaning stress-free and also water filters can be attached effortlessly. Additionally, the valve can be replaced easily without having to change the entire hose. Avoid those that have a bite valve that is not detachable as it can present maintenance challenges.
There are two main ways in which balder can be opened: Zip top and Fold top. Zip tops have strong fasteners that cover the entire top safely. They are also easy to open to create a significant opening for stress-free cleaning and drying of the bladders. Fold top on the other hand crinkle over instead of using plastic joining. The top is totally sealed as the fastener slides over the fold. Either case, you should check that the bladders open wide for easy cleaning and drying.
Storage hook is beneficial as it ensures that the bladder stays intact where it is supposed to be. This makes it convenient when using it and ensures water flows smoothly. The hook can also be used to hang up the water bladder for drying, gravity filter use or when storing.
Whether to buy a water bladder that has carry handle or not depends on your preference. While some are designed not to have one in order to reduce weight, others have to make refilling easy. So, if you are the kind of person that refills frequently, then ensure you get one that has a carry handle. However, if you will use it without having to refill then the water bladder without carrying handle is okay as it is lightweight.
Ease of Cleaning and Drying
The water balder which is reversible is easy to clean. Also, those that are dishwater compatible make cleaning and drying stress-free. However, if it is not reversible and not compatible with the dishwasher then ensure that the opening is big. The wide opening ensures your hands can fit in to wash and dry. To clean the hose well, you need to buy a pipe cleaner or long brush which can be ordered through Amazon or buy from any nearest shop.
Size and Capacity
Water bladders come in different capacities ranging from 1 to 3 liters or more. The one you choose depends on your needs in terms of compatibility with the back bag, type of outdoor activity and how it is being used. However, to make an informed decision here is some guidance that can help you:
- 1-1.5litres capacities are ideal for use in the location where there are places to refill, shorter trips or trail running. This reduces the weight to carry along but keep in mind that refilling can take up much of your time.
- 2litre capacity is the perfect choice if you are not sure of what will work for you. They hold enough water that can keep you hydrated all day long and fit inside biking and hiking back bags.
- 3litre work best for those who go for long trips or if you are in a place where refilling is impracticable. Just ensure that the bag you intend to carry will accommodate 3litre water bladder. The good thing is the time of refilling is saved and you will only have to bear the additional weight.
Though it is hard to find plastic drink bottles that are BPA free, you should ensure the water bladder is BPS free, phthalate-free and PVC free. This ensures that you can safely put water and use without health risks associated with these components. Long-distance trekkers and hikers should try and find water bladders that are treated to inhibit bacterial growth. This is because they may not find a proper way of cleaning the equipment while on the go.
As much as possible you should get a lightweight and durable water bladder. The weight before refilling is considered since you would want to reduce the burden and increase its efficiency. A good one should be 250g or less and hold the desired water capacity.
Detailed Reviews of the 6 Top-Rated Hydration Bladders
Understanding the features of the best hydration bladders is crucial and enables one to make an informed decision. You will also get to know why the six products made to our list. Read the full detail review of each product below.
01- Aquatic Way Hydration Pack Bladder
Aquatic way products are one that you can buy with so much confidence and enjoy the great features that come with it. You get a 60-days 100% refund in case of any issues and nothing goes unaddressed. The confidence comes from the quality construction of water bladder which uses FDA approved and BPA free materials. Food grade materials have been used and possess anti-bacterial characteristics. This makes it suitable for both short and long trips where cleaning may not be done within the required time.
Think of any activity that requires continuous engagement while staying hydrated such as hiking, cycling, skiing among others and choose the aquatic way for a long-lasting solution. Cleaning and drying are quite easy since the opening is wide enough and usage is stress-free as the shut-off valve is placed within reach. This ensures that there is no single dripping when engaging in rigorous activities. Furthermore, there is no leakage even when the tube is detached due to a quick-release connector. With a single click, you can detach and attach the hose hassle-free. Also, take water conveniently through the soft mouthpiece with an extra-long drinking tube that keeps water at preferred temperatures. Choose your preferred capacity from the three options available and stay hydrated while active.
- Anti-bacterial food-grade BPA-free materials
- Large opening that makes it easy to clean and dry
- Soft and long-lasting mouthpiece for easy sipping and smooth flow of liquid
- Accessible on/off valve to prevent leakage
- Extra-long drinking tube that is well insulated
- Quick disconnect mechanism
- Automatic shut off of tube connectors to prevent leakage when tubes are detached
- Available in 1.5lit, 2lit and 3lit capacity
- Brand: Aquatic Way
- Model: FBA_AWHBALLSZ
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Dimension: 17*6.5*1.2 inches
02- Hydration Bladder 2 Liter Leak Proof Water Reservoir
CHERAINTI is a water reservoir of premium quality. It is made of BPA-free, FDA and SGS approved materials. Additionally, the double sealing side mechanism improves its durability. No bad taste whatsoever except that of the purest water that you put in. The large opening makes filling, cleaning and drying much easier. In fact, you can easily clean using the hand or the brush in the interior. Ice cubes can be added conveniently if cold water is needed. Ease of cleaning is further enhanced by the smooth interior that goes to promote healthy living.
Holding 2litres of water you can stay hydrated for a fairly long-hours while on the go. This is done stress-free due to the long tube that is flexible enough for use during cycling, hiking, biking among other rigorous activities. What is more, is that the container can withstand temperatures of -20°c to 50°c while staying leak-proof. Leakage is averted by the soft mouthpiece and accessible on/off valve. The other great features that enhance its functionality include; valve cover to keep germs at bay, auto-shutoff when detached and detachable quick-release tube. Order one with a 100% refund in case of any quality issue.
- Soft mouthpiece for stress-free sipping
- Detachable drinking tube for easy storage
- 100% leak-proof as a result of auto-shutoff valve
- Insulated to keep drinks at room temperature
- Premium materials which are FDA and SGS approved, and BPA-free
- Large opening for easy filling, cleaning, and drying
- 100% refund in case of quality issues
- Brand: CHERAINTI
- Model: HB-OOA1
- Weight: 3.2 ounces
- Dimension: 14.2*6.8 inches
03-WACOOL EVA Hydration Pack Bladder
WACOOL water reservoir holds 3litres of liquid. This makes it good for long travels or when refilling is not possible. There is no leakage whatsoever due to the hose connector socket that auto-lock when detaching the hose. You stay healthy while using it since the materials used are EVA and BPA free. This ensures there is no odor and taste apart from that of water/drink.
Refilling is also quite easier as a result of the double opening technique. Furthermore, the self-locking mouthpiece, smooth flow of rinks and valve covers enhance its efficiency. The water is kept at room temperature since the hose is well-insulated and you only need to close the screw cup securely to avoid any leakage. Order for one and stay hydrated with ease
- EVA and BPA-free odorless materials
- Extra-thick liner for pressure resistance
- Double soldering sealing side mechanism for long-lasting services
- Insulated hose to keep water in room temperature
- Hose connector socket that auto-locks to prevent leakage
- Extra-long tube for easy drinking
- Brand: WACOOL
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Dimension: 16.2*7*1.3 inches
- Capacity: 3litres
04- SportsTrail Hydration Bladder
With SportTrail you will easily sip water conveniently through a soft mouthpiece that has a pull-out shut off valve. There is no leakage due to even when removing the tube since the water bag has an auto-lock system. Made of premium materials that are SGS and FDA approved you are assured of odorless and taste-free products. It can also withstand pressure and passes vibration and swing test.
Filling, cleaning, and drying is done effortlessly through a large opening. The bladder also has a head puller that ensures you do not lose it even when engaging in rigorous activities. Designed with a slim fit and lightweight it can fit almost any camping or hiking bag. Buy one with confidence due to a 100% refund guarantee.
- Head puller to keep it safe
- Valve cover to keep away dust
- SGS and FDA certified and BPA-free materials
- Leakproof and pressure tolerant due to premium materials used
- Large opening for easy filling, cleaning, and drying
- A soft mouthpiece that allows fast and smooth water flow
- Lightweight and can be used hands-free
- 60-day full refund guarantee
- Brand: SportTrail
- Weight: 5.6 ounces
- Dimension: 15*7*0.5 inches
- Capacity: 2litres
05- Platypus Big Zip Water Reservoir
With Platypus water bag you will enjoy taste-free and hands-free hydration. Therefore, the focus will remain on the activity you are engaging in. The low-profile design makes it easier to put in in that back bag and sip whenever and wherever through the wide mouth opening. This further makes refilling, cleaning and drying stress-free. The product is also funk-free with a quick-release horse and shutoff valve that prevents any leakage. Buy one and make hydration easier and enjoyable.
- Wide-mouth opening for easy refilling, cleaning, and drying
- Low-profile design that saves space in the back bag
- Embedded silver-ion that is funk-free
- Quick-release hose for easy refilling
- Shutoff valve that prevents any leakage
- Approved food-grade materials that are BPS and BPA-free
- Brand: Platypus
- Model: 040818069592
- Weight: 5 ounces
- Dimension: 13.8*1.6*4.6 inches
- Capacity: 3litres
06- Baen Sendi hydration bladder
This is water and that is made completely of eco-friendly materials, therefore, it is FDA certified and BPA-free with superior durability. Fitting to almost a very back bag, the bladder is easy to use due to wide mouth opening. This makes it perfect for all outdoor activities as you get to stay hydrated while ensuring there is no leak by using a valve switch that is accessible. The large opening also makes refilling, cleaning and drying effortlessly while ensuring ice can be put conveniently when cold water is required. Buy one confidently with assurance of quality through a 60-day 100% refund in case of quality issues.
- Made of eco-friendly materials
- A soft mouthpiece that makes sipping easier
- Valve switch that prevents leakage
- Large opening for easy refilling, cleaning, and drying
- Detachable quick-release tube
- Brand: BaenSendi
- Weight: 5.9 ounces
- Dimension: 14.2*6.7*0.4 inches
- Capacity: 2litres
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the basic accessories required when using a drink bladder?
Ideally, the water bladders should come with all the accessories needed to complete the pack. However, this is not the case and you might have to buy some basic accessories that come in handy while using these containers. The basic accessories include the following:
- Cleaning kit: this includes pipe cleaner or brush for cleaning the pipe. You might find cleaning kits that contain various items but basically, they are meant for washing the bladder and drying it.
- Quick link conversion kit: this is used to upgrade an old bladder that is still functional.
- Hose magnet: this is a tool for controlling the hose for easy use with one hand.
- Tube insulator: this is used to keep water from freezing in the extremely cold winter season. This prevents water from icing making it difficult to flow through the hose.
- Bite valve cover: some come with valve cover while some don’t. it is essential that prevent germs from getting in the valve and therefore should be in the list of basic accessories.
Undoubtedly, the use of water bladders is the best way to stay hydrated while on the go. With continuous innovation, you can find a liquid container that can be used without holding it. What you need to do is bite the hose end and drink water without interrupting your outdoor activity. For better experience and efficiency you need to look for the best hydration bladder that the market can offer. This can be a task on its own, yet there are countless activities that need your time. Evidently, with this article, you do not have to do much. Just click and order any of the six reviewed and dedicate your time to hiking, cycling, running or in any other outdoor event.
Check the buyer’s guide provided to help you pick one out of the six. This will largely depend on your individual needs and the kind of outdoor activity you will be engaged in.
Things to note include the size and capacity, weight, material, ease of cleaning among other features. Hopefully, we have made your work easier by detailing the most innovative and convenient ways of staying hydrated while on the go! Read about keeping warm in a tent here.