Car camping and over landing have gained a lot of popularity during this lockdown as most of the campgrounds are shut down because of the pandemic. In this guide, I will share a detailed review of the best tents for car camping.
When it comes to tents for over landing, Most people prefer to camp with a rooftop tent instead of a ground tent as it’s very comfortable and extremely easy to setup.
Today, we will review 7 of the best rooftop tents for over landing currently on the market. Without further due, let’s jump right into it.
Please note that if at any point — you would like to know more about a particular product, click the “check price” button, and it will open the full product description in a new tab.
Read More: Best Tarp for Hammock Camping
Best Tents for Car Camping
To start the list, we will be looking at the Series 3 Soft Shell Roof Top Tent by Eezi-Awn. Series 3 is a top-notch quality tent that continues to be the standard by which all other soft-shell roof tents are measured.
Constructed with 420-gram poly-cotton canvas woven with impregnated heavy-duty wax thread, Series 3 is an all-weather RTT that you can rely on no matter what the conditions might be. It is also double-stitched throughout with wax-coated cotton thread for durability.
Series 3 comes in over 5 different sizes. The smallest size weighs about 110lbs, sleeps around 2 people, and is ideal for small SUVs and cars. The largest size weighs about 215 lbs., sleeps around 4-5 people, and is ideal for jeeps and off-road vehicles with good load capacity.
To help you get a good night’s sleep — Series 3 comes with a built-in 2.5″ thick hi-density foam mattress. It is extremely comfortable to sleep on. Also, the size of the mattress differs depending on the size of your tent.
Let’s quickly look at some other awesome features of Series 3:
- Windows and Doors are made with breathable materials to make sure there will be full ventilation inside the tent at all times
- Includes 1 PVC tent cover to keep the tent safe and secure during your journey
- Includes 1 ladder to help you get in and out of the tent easily
- Includes 4 storage pockets under windows
- Mount on any roof rack
Next up, we have another soft shell rooftop tent called Anza 2000 by Overland Pros. With an accommodation capacity of 5 people, Anza 2000 is by far one of the largest rooftop tents ever manufactured.
Manufactured from 280gsm poly cotton ripstop waterproof canvas, Anza 2000 is a tough tent that can handle rough weather. It also comes with a 210 denier rainfly to ensure that the water won’t get inside your tent during heavy rainfall.
Anza 2000 offers huge front and rear windows/doors that can be opened completely to improve the tent’s ventilation. When all the windows/doors of these tents are opened — it creates a beautiful 270-degree outward view for you to enjoy.
Here are some other great features of the Anza 2000:
- Very easy to setup (Can be set up in under 1 minute)
- Includes 1 sliding alloy ladder
- Includes 1 waterproof boot bag to store your shoes
- Includes 3″ high-density foam king-size mattress
- The floor of the tent is insulated with Closed-cell foam to keep you warm during cold winter nights
- Optional Annex, which is spacious enough to sleep an additional 1 person
Next, we have a hard shell roof top tent called Blade by Eezi-Awn. The blade is a 2 person tent perfect for people looking for a luxurious option in rooftop tents.
It is made from a lightweight aluminum body, stainless steel hardware, and 260-gram Teflon-coated polyester ripstop material. Eezi-Awn Blade beats all other rooftop tents on this list when it comes to both toughness and comfort (The only reason it’s in the 3rd position is because of its price).
One of the biggest stand-out features of the Eezi-Awn Blade is its setup time. Believe it or not — this tent can be set up in under 15 seconds without any help! Also, to make it easy for you to mount it on roof racks, It comes with four mounting rails on the bottom of the tent and a four-point DIY mounting hardware set.
Here are few other great features of the Eezi-Awn Blade:
- Built-in premium double-size mattress
- The roof and floor of the tent are completely insulated
- Low Profile Aerodynamic Design
- Includes 1 National Luna LED Light on the Interior Roof to make it easy for you to light up the tent at night
- Includes 12V Power Supply Socket
- You can store your bedding inside the tent even when the tent is closed
- Includes Internal Gas Struts
Next up, we have a foldout rooftop tent called Vagabond by Roam Adventure Co. Made with waterproof PU coated 280g poly cotton ripstop tent body fabric, Vagabond is a durable all-weather tent. It also comes with a diamond ripstop 600D rainfly to protect you from elements and keep you safe during heavy rainfall.
With a built-in Ultra Plush 2.0 mattress made with high density 3″ foam, Vagabond makes sure that you get a good night’s sleep always. The mattress also comes wrapped in a waterproof base, so moisture never reaches you with a cotton top for maximum comfort.
Vagabond is spacious enough to sleep 2-3 people. However, if you would like more space — You do have an option to add an annex to it. The Annex is built with the same durable material used for rainfly and includes a black, heavy-duty, laminated, 600 GSM PVC floor. It is spacious enough for 1 person to sleep in.
Here’s a quick overview of some other features of the Vagabond:
- Includes porch windows for more visibility
- Includes skylight windows
- Includes anti-condensation mat to prevent moisture buildup underneath the mattress
- Includes 2 boot bags
- Includes telescopic ladder
- 1″ internal aluminum frame for extended durability
- It weighs about 130 lbs
- The plasticized aluminum base provides extra scratch and dent resistance
If you are looking for an affordable, strong, and lightweight rooftop tent, then the TMBK oof top tent by Overland Vehicle Systems is perfect for you. Made with durable waterproof canvas, TMBK is spacious enough to accommodate 3 people comfortably.
All windows and doors of the TMBK are made with 110g environmental fadeless gaze breathable material. Hence, there will be full ventilation inside the tent at all times, even when the windows are closed.
Also, to keep you warm and cozy during cold winter nights, the tent’s base features an insulated reinforced welded one-piece frame with heavy-duty stainless-steel hinges. Plus, TMBK is very easy to set up and install. You can install this on your roof rack without any modifications or drilling.
Some other worth-noting features of the TMBK:
- Includes Skylight Windows for you to enjoy the sunrise right from your bed
- Includes PVC cover for keeping your tent secure
- Includes Aluminum Anodized Lightweight Poles
- Weighs about 100 lbs without the ladder (With ladder weight: 108 lbs)
- Includes 60mm High-Density Foam Mattress with Washable Cover
Last but not least, we have another rooftop tent by Overland Vehicle Systems called Nomadic 4. With an accommodation capacity of 4 people, Nomadic 4 is the second-largest RTT on this list after Anza 2000.
Made with marine grade 600D ripstop polyester-cotton canvas waterproof body and 420D polyester oxford waterproof rainfly, You can trust this tent to keep you and your family safe even in the harshest weather conditions.
If you plan on camping with more than 4 people, then the Nomadic 4 has an option for you to add an annex to it. The Annex is big enough to sleep 1-2 people comfortably.
Also, to make it easy for you to light up the tent at night, Nomadic 4 comes with a fixed 40″ LED Light Strip. You also get a free portable handheld LED light with a clip & magnet.
Like all other tents on this list, Nomadic 4 also comes with a comfortable 3″ high-density foam mattress. To make it easy for you to clean it, the mattress includes a washable cover.
Let’s take a look at some other worth-noting features of the Nomadic 4:
- Windows and Doors are made with 120g Environmental Fadeless Gaze Breathable material to make sure there will be full ventilation inside the tent at all times.
- Includes 6 large pockets inside the tent where you can store your essentials
- Includes 2 boot bags for storing your shoes
- Includes a 96″ Tubular Adjustable With Locking Strap
- Weighs about 183 lbs
- It comes with a 4-year warranty
Lastly, we have a 2 person hard shell roof top tent called Olympus by Hutch Tents. Manufactured in the United States, Olympus is a 4 season tent that is highly durable, practical, and versatile.
A quick look at its features:
- Made with water-resistant material
- Includes 1 ladder
- It weighs about 160 lbs.
- Includes 1 high-density foam mattress
And that’s a wrap, folks! We reviewed over 7 of the best rooftop tents currently on the market. I hope you found the perfect one for your next over landing trip.
If you have any questions or thoughts on any of the products on this list — then leave a comment below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.