You’ll often hear people saying that medical insurance for international travel is something that’s good to have but not really necessary at all. However, without a proper understanding of its importance, you’ll be missing out on the many benefits it has to offer. Apart from that, it might also because you discomfort when you travel abroad without it.
In this article, we’re going to talk about the importance of travel medical insurance. But first, let’s have a closer look as to what it is exactly.
What is a Travel Medical Insurance?
Travel medical insurance is a type of insurance package that’s designed to provide emergency health care coverage while you travel abroad for an extended period of time. It’s a good option if you plan to go on a vacation where you are not covered by your health insurance.
It’s also a good option if you’re studying or living outside your country of residence. For students, this can be a perfect type of insurance, especially for those who need short-term coverage at a very affordable price.
Depending on which type of plan you prefer, you could be covered for the following:
- Hospital room bills
- Cost of local ambulance transport
- Emergency room co-payment
- Other eligible medical costs
What Are Its Importance?
Now that you’ve learned the basics of travel medical insurance, let’s now have a look at its importance. They’re as follows:
It Protects You From Any Unexpected Events Abroad
Nowadays, more and more people are traveling abroad as traveling becomes a lot easier compared to the past. However, the problem is that a lot of people tend to forget the importance of being protected.
Each time you travel abroad, you’ll encounter a lot of places, cultural norms, and situations that will look unfamiliar to you. Even though you’ve carefully planned your vacation, you can still get to experience a number of unexpected scenarios.
This could mean that something might go wrong, and in that situation, you could either get injured, catch or illness, or worse, get killed. One of the best ways you can mitigate any potential problems that might come up during your travel is to prepare yourself.
You might think that traveling without any medical coverage can help you save money; however, if you get caught in an emergency, you’ll end up paying hefty medical expenses. This is especially true if you plan to engage in risky activities.
On average, a medical evacuation will cost you at least $25,000. The cost can go even higher depending on the treatment necessary and the medical center you’re admitted to. With a travel medical insurance, however, you will be able to protect yourself from any financial loss and ensure that you can get immediate medical assistance at the same time.
Aside from that, in the unfortunate event that you get caught in a situation that results in your death, a travel medical insurance would cover for the repatriation of your remains to your country of origin. Also, you will receive coverage for any accidental dismemberment as well as coverage for your beneficiaries in the event of accidental death.
It Offers Assistance in Overcoming Barriers Abroad
It’s pretty normal to face a lot of different barriers as you travel to a foreign country. A few good examples of these would be a limited currency exchange, language barriers, low-quality medical care, and risk of terrorism.
Also, if you find yourself in a non-English speaking country, you’ll definitely find it a challenge to communicate with people. This will help you get confused about a lot of things; however, there’s actually a way out – and this comes in the form of a travel medical insurance.
With medical insurance for international travel, you will be able to receive assistance from your insurance provider. Through this, you can rest easy knowing that there’s someone to help you while you’re out there traveling in a foreign country.
It’s an Entry Requirement in Some Countries
Another main importance of securing a travel medical insurance is that it’s an entry requirement imposed by certain countries. This means that you won’t be able to travel to those countries if you don’t have travel medical insurance. A few good examples are Germany, the US, the UAE, Qatar, Iceland, Spain, and France.
Without travel medical insurance each time you plan to go to one of those countries, you’ll be sent back to your country of origin. The thing about this is that a lot of travelers don’t know much about it.
It Serves as a Guarantee of Payment
Some hotels might not accept you as a guest, and some hospitals will discharge you if they don’t have any guarantee that you will pay them. With no travel health insurance, you’ll end up paying for those services in advance using cash, check, or even your credit card.
Also, the healthcare plan that’s used in your country of origin may not be able to cover medical costs abroad.
You Can Enjoy Quality Healthcare
Getting a travel medical insurance could ensure that you can get quality healthcare services even when you’re abroad. With such type of insurance, you will be able to choose which medical facility you can get treatment and how you can receive said treatment at your destination.
Tons of Benefits that Await You
Lastly, travel medical insurance provides you with a ton of benefits, some of which are as follows:
- Protection during emergencies that follow after a terrorist attack while traveling abroad. In fact, most insurance companies that provide travel medical insurance have arrangements intended for the medical evaluation and emergency of travelers.
- Immediate assistance in the form of cash or other bill settlement service in the event that you become a victim of theft abroad. This form of assistance will allow you to have peace of mind while traveling.
- Comprehensive financial protection from various types of risks during your travels abroad.
- Coverage against any potential risks that might occur during your trip. This will allow you to enjoy your trip without any worries knowing that you’re protected against any risks that could affect your trip.
- Emergency services in the event that you find yourself in a complicated situation and need a local resource while in a foreign country.
Other Important Things to Know about Travel Medical Insurance
You Have Five Plans to Choose From
Travel medical insurance is classified into five different types in order to suit your individual needs. They’re as follows:
- Single-trip – As the name implies, this policy offers coverage for a single trip you specified abroad.
- Multi-trip – This policy provides coverage for multiple international trips throughout your specified period.
- Group – If you plan to travel with your friends or family (around 5 or more members) in a single policy, a group plan is your best choice. This will allow you to avail of insurance coverage for all members at a discounted rate.
- Student – This plan is perfect for students who plan to study abroad, providing them with student health insurance coverage.
- Long-term – This is perfect for long-term travelers and expatriates who plan to travel abroad for a long period.
Anyone Can Avail of this Insurance
Everyone who plans to travel abroad can benefit from the coverage offered by a travel medical insurance. Some of them are as follows:
- People suffering from chronic conditions – These include people who have asthma, diabetes, or any form of a medical condition.
- Solo travelers – Those who plan to travel abroad solo, either for business or recreation purposes, can benefit from a travel medical insurance’s assistance, especially in the form of an emergency response team.
- Families with kids – Kids aren’t that keen on following basic practices that will help keep germs at bay. In a way, travel medical insurance can cover them in the event of any illness they catch during their international travel.
- Individuals who travel to a non-English speaking country – Looking for medical care in a country that doesn’t speak the English language can be really challenging. However, travel medical insurance can help solve that issue.
Is my credit card insurance a good alternative for a travel medical insurance?
Unfortunately, no. A lot of people believe that they’re covered by their credit card issuer when they go travel abroad. As such, most of them won’t even bother about getting standalone insurance. However, most credit cards don’t actually offer any coverage. Check here how to travel insurance works.
If you’re lucky, your credit card issuer might provide you with basic insurance coverage if you book a trip using their credit card. The problem, however, is that the coverage is fairly limited alongside a lot of restrictions and conditions you should meet.
Where can I get my travel medical insurance?
There are actually tons of companies that offer travel medical insurance. Some of the most popular in the market are Travel Guard, AIG, and Allianz.
There are tons of travelers who regret not getting travel medical insurance before traveling abroad. Don’t be one of them. .
Travel medical insurance can be a really important part of your vacation. Despite the initial costs, you’ll be glad to know that you can actually save a lot in the event that an emergency situation occurs to you during your travel overseas.