Disc Golf is a fascinating game. Not only is it a cool hobby, but it is also cheap. Disc golf is played like golf but differs in some basic ways. The disc does not target golf clubs, small white balls, or holes in the ground. Disc Golf uses discs and baskets like Frisbee. In this guide, I will discuss what is needed for disc golf.
Although disc golf scores the same, the equipment we use to play disc golf is completely different.
So tell me, what do you need to play disc golf?
You need at least 3 golf discs to play disc golf, a bag to carry your discs, some suitable track accessories (water, snacks, disc retriever, towel, mini marker disc, sharpie), and a good local track to play Disc Golf On.
You need a few more things to play with, such as comfortable clothes, a good pair of tennis shoes or hiking boots, a disc golf glove and other accessories like discs, a bag and of course some other necessities for you to go play disc golf. So without further ado, I’ll show you what you need and where to get it.
What is Needed for Disc Golf?
Get the Right Disc
Discs are important in disc golf. So I’m going to put together some top disk suggestions; they are Control Driver, Mid-Range, and Putter. Check our guide on the best disc golf discs for getting the right disc.
Control Driver Top Pick – Innova Leopard
Leopard is a disc perfect for beginners. You do not have to throw it too hard, and it is very balanced and controllable. Each new player must have one of these in their bag.
Mid-range top pick – Discount Buzz
This is the most popular mid-range disc in the Discount Buzz market. Buzz is a very balanced, lightweight disc that all players love on a variety of skill sets.
Putter Top Pick – Dynamic Disc Judge
I love the judge. It is a very strong structured, very simple flying putter. Ever since I first threw it, I knew I needed one in my bag. I think you can tell it was love on the first flight.
Second, You Need a Bag.
Once you have caught some disks, you need a good bag to store them as a new player. It makes a small bag, so you probably only have a few disks. Below is a list of some bags recommended for new players starting with some top recommendations?
Dynamic Disks Trooper Bag
Dynamic Discs Trooper Bag is excellent. It is a full-size bag, contains a lot of disks, and has multiple storage pockets. This is a bag that you can easily grow as a new player. It is one of the most popular disc golf bags in the disc golf community.
Slinger bag of infinite discs
One of the favorite bags to play with is the infinite disc slinger bag. It has enough discs carrier like about 8-10, is very comfortable to carry around, and is very cheap.
Discord weekend bag
Good bag for new and casual disc golfers. This bag contains 8-10 discs holders.
What are the Other Disc Golf Equipment
Once you have selected your discs and your bag, there are many other things you need to have to successfully maneuver and complete your round disc golf easily.
My favorite snacks to take are Nature Valley sweet and salty nut bars.
You need lots and lots of water. Water is important to keep you hydrated in the course.
You need a towel to wipe your hands and wet discs.
You need a cell phone to keep the score, take pics, or put in an emergency.
Mini marker disk
You have to need a marker to detect the lie.
To locate your disks so that they are not lost and identify your disks when you get aces.
Disc Golf Retriever
- Good for retrieving discs from water.
- The frictional disc golf glove
- It’s needed to play in the rain.
- Hockey puck or baseball
- It’s used to knock down trapped discs from trees.
Disc golf rules
Disc golf play like customary golf, but with disc golf discs as a replacement for balls and clubs. A throw (stroke) counts each time the disc throw, and a fine imposes. The aim is to take part in each hole in as few strokes as possible. The player wins with the lowest total number of strokes for the entire course. The hole complete when the disc rests in the disc golf basket.
Rule 1 is the Safety Precaution
Never throw when players or other park users are in range. Always give park users the right path. Always be aware of your surroundings and weather.
Rule 2 is the Tee throws.
Each hole begins with a tee throw. Tea throws should be completed inside or behind the designated tee area.
Rule 3 is the Lie
The place where the previous player throw land is what refer to as a Lie. Mark each lie with a mini marker disk or place the thrown disk on the landing. The player’s next throw make directly from behind the marked lie.
Rule 4 is the Throwing order.
The player with the fewest strokes on the previous hole makes the first off tee in the next hole. After all, players have teed, the player farthest from the hole always throws first.
Rule 5 is the Fairway throws.
Fairway throws should be made straight from the back of the lie. Run-up with normal follow-through allows after discharge unless the lie is within 10 meters of the target. For any shot within 10 meters of the target, the player must maintain balance and not cross the line until the disc rests.
Mandatory, or Mando, one or more designate trees or poles in the fairway. It should be sent in the right direction as indicated by the arrow. If the disk goes to the wrong side of the mandatory, play from the previous lie or the marked drop zone area if applied and add a throw penalty.
The hole is full
The disc rests in the disc golf basket, or the disc suspended in the chains completes that hole.
Out of bounds
If there is any area of O.B. Disk and O.B. Appears in the middle line, then disk O.B. A throw that crosses the boundaries must play boundaries from one point to 1 meter, from where the disc crosses the boundaries. Permanent water hazards, public roads, and most park boundaries almost always demarcate.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you play disc golf for beginners?
- Get disc golf discs.
- Select mid-range disks and putters
- Choose lightweight discs.
- Write your name and phone number on the back of the disk with a permanent marker.
- Find the disc golf course closest to your hometown.
- If you can’t make it over your head, bring a pen and paper to keep the score.
- Find the course map.
- Apply the outside boundary regulations.
- Learn the rules of sportsmanship on the course map.
- Throw your disc to attract the attention of your teammate so that they know something is coming.
- Find the first hole on the map, so you know where to start.
- Each time you reach each hole’s tee, make sure you write regularly if you plan to keep the score.
- Usually, throw a frisbee on the back of your hand facing your target. You can also play by placing the pointer and middle finger on the bottom edge and the inside of your Toe above. The inside of your hand faces your target when throwing it.
- Finally, step up to the tee to throw.
What are some rules of disc golf?
Here are some basic disc golf rules
- Throw Order- For the first hole, the group decides who will throw first. For the remaining holes, the person with the lowest score on the previous hole throws first. After the tee turns off, the player who is away from the goal throws first.
- Tee off- Tee throws release from a designated area (-1 penalty)
- Lie- disk landing area.
- The fairway throws- should be made from lying. Run-up and follow-through allow. Within 10 yards of the put-goal, the player cannot cross the line when attempting to throw the put.
- The hole complete when the hole is in the completion-disc basket or supported by chains.
Check out golden rules of disc golf.
How Long Does a Disc Golf Game Take?
The average length of an 18-hole round of disc golf is 1-2 hours in a row, depending on how fast or slow you are playing. A round of 9 holes will take you from 30 minutes to 1 hour. The 24-27 hole round will take you anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours. An additional 27 holes: 2 to 4 or more hours.
Disc golf is a popular game and for playing this game you will need some stuff. After reading this article hope now you know what is needed for playing disc golf. Let me know if I missed something via comment.